Poison in the Food You Eat

Imagine this situation: You skipped lunch due to some office work that needs to be submitted and soon found yourself with your stomach protesting loudly by the time your job is over. You went home and saw a pizza on the table. It looks new and mouth watering but smells and tastes a little funny. You thought that maybe it is just the pineapple ingredient so you removed them and proceeded eating it anyway. What you do not know is you are already on your way to experience poisoning in your food.

There are lots of ways that you can get food poisoning. It may be due to the ingredients of the food you eat, your hygienic practices, the hygienic practices of those who prepared the food you ate, or how the food was stored or kept. As you can see, food poisoning does not always mean that somebody intended to add a toxic substance in your food. In fact, most cases of food poisoning happen by accident or carelessness.

For your information, there are some foods that microorganisms love to thrive at such as egg. If the shell of an egg is broken, even if it is just a crack, salmonella can enter and live inside. The eggs that have been stored in the shelf for a long period of time may also be housing salmonella microorganisms. That is because the eggshells actually have pores which serves as portal for these sneaky bacteria to enter and invade the inside of the egg. That leads us to the thought that raw and half cooked eggs added to the food we eat like that in salad dressings or simply eaten as it is are actually dangerous practices. Continue doing it at your own risk of salmonella food poisoning.

Your hygienic practices can also save or push you to suffer food poisoning. We know the importance of hand washing and we even teach it to young children but sometimes, we ourselves forget to perform this very important preventive measure. What we held before we saw the tasty finger food that is being passed around might have harbored bacteria that were transmitted to you when you held it. The worse is, you saw the finger food and totally forgot about hand washing before popping it in your mouth.

So maybe you are very strict with your hygienic practices that you think food poisoning cannot happen to you. You always have alcohol in your bag and you really cannot eat without washing your hands. You even make sure that all of your left over foods is stored in the freezer and you do not have pets as you believe that they carry microorganisms with them. The problem is, you like to order your food from restaurants. Even if you trust that the restaurant prepare their products hygienically, there is still a possibility that a worker handled your food improperly thus predisposing you to food poisoning.

Moreover, you can also get food poisoning in a way just like in the situation at the beginning of this article. If you have not stored or kept food properly and there is an uncovered part, even if it is very small, if salmonella sneaked right in it, you are still going to suffer food poisoning.